Saturday, September 10, 2005

Family reunion

One of the reasons we went to the coast was to go and visit storm survivors who had taken refuge in shelters. Specifically we were invited to the Biloxi High School to counsel and pray with very traumatized people. In order to go to the school you had to be a pastor or counselor so we were admitted to the area.
While I was inside the shelter I gave out a number of Bibles and prayed and counseled many people. One lady I talked with, Janice, was 26 years old. She had a wonderful attitude and yet was distraught at what she had been through. After talkiing for about 20 minutes I asked her if she had talked with her family and she said she had been unable to get through to them and that she had no phone or way to communicate. I knew that my cell phone was not working so I said to her "please give me your parents phone number and I will call them for you as soon as I can get a call out and let them know you are alive and where you are."
Later that day I was able to make that phone call for her. I shared with her mother that Janice was alive and that she was at the Biloxi shelter. I hope by now that her parents have made the trip down from northern Mississippi to pick her up. I cannot tell you how wonderful it felt to bring that precious family back in contact with one another.
I gave Janice my COI business card and asked her to call me or email me when she is safe at home. I am looking forward to hearing from her and hearing what is happening in her life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home