Wednesday, January 19, 2005

Pain...the unexpected companion

Pain is something that many of us have experienced or are experiencing. I am not just talking about physical pain, though that is something that is constantly there in my life. I am also talking about mental, emotional or spiritual pain.
Pain has the ability no matter the form to interrupt, reshape and disrupt our lives. Pain can cause us to lose hope, to reexamine our vision and change our dreams.
I am by no means an expert in pain though it does seem to surround me. Ruth has been in serious pain for almost ten years (she fell on Jan 31/1995). As I have watched her struggle daily for most of these ten years I have been crushed. I have seen a vibrant, exciting, caring woman be beaten down so often by the intensity of the pain. I have seen my daughter struggle with the mental pain of a panic disorder. I have seen the pain of a good friend struggle emotionally and mentally with a marriage seperation less than eight months after beginning a Christian marriage, I have seen a good pastor friend devastated as his wife walked away from a marriage and then see his ministry removed due to the circumstances. I have seen the pain of death in our family. I have seen a young Christian man diagnosed with a rare disease and the struggle he and his family face.
I believe many people have seen pain or are experiencing it in some way.
After seeing Ruth suffer for so long I began to say to others "I don't know how she handles it. If I were in pain everyday I would go crazy." Well I was blessed with physical pain myself. It has been ten months of constant daily pain. It doesn't go away. It greets me when I wake up in the morning, it tucks me into bed at night. It travels with me in the car, it goes to church with me, it goes to work with me, it goes everywhere with me. BUT so does Christ's love and Christ's presence.
I can only deal with the pain in my life as I acknowledge that Christ walks with me and is aware of my pain and really does care.
No matter what your pain is be it emotional, mental, physical or spiritual be encouraged and know that God is closer than the pain you feel.

3 Comments:

Blogger jb.melan said...

Scott, your input and insight has definitely given me hope for the day. You and your family have always been inspirational and God-blessed. May you know today that there is a friend and a brother who is praying for you and lifting you up in thoughts and in prayers. Thanks for choosing to be used by God, you are in my hall of faith!

7:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i could not have said it better myself scott... the main thing that i am realizing 13 months later after having what i would consider a year of the closest i have been to hell is that because of who Christ is and what He did i can live despite the pain... not just survive, but thrive in victory... yeah there are hurts and healing and just plain sucky times, but i am victorious... easy to say, hard to live, but the fact is that God has not changed and to quote the "wood verse" Gods plans are not to harm me, but to prosper me and give me a HOPE and a future... Gloria Dios that is good preaching from some hard training... anywho, bless ya scott... scottie

12:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i could not have said it better myself scott... the main thing that i am realizing 13 months later after having what i would consider a year of the closest i have been to hell is that because of who Christ is and what He did i can live despite the pain... not just survive, but thrive in victory... yeah there are hurts and healing and just plain sucky times, but i am victorious... easy to say, hard to live, but the fact is that God has not changed and to quote the "wood verse" Gods plans are not to harm me, but to prosper me and give me a HOPE and a future... Gloria Dios that is good preaching from some hard training... anywho, bless ya scott... scottie

12:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home