Saturday, January 22, 2005

Nothing is the same

I decided to try and do something today that most would think to be normal. Myself and Tallie (a friend from Ohio)took a couple of girls age 6 and 9 bowling. I tried to throw two balls right handed and just could not do it. The pain was too much. I tried to adjust and throw left handed so I could be a part of what was happening. I bowled a 28 (the six year old bowled a 65) after throwing gutter ball after gutter ball.
What could have been a discouraging event was balanced by a very rewarding time. The pain was there all the time. The frustration of not being able to pick up the ball with my right hand, extend my arm backwards to get the needed speed and then to follow through with the ball going somewhere near a pin was real. To be able to spend time with these kids, just letting them be kids was not going to stop me. We got ice cream after bowling and they sang songs in the car as we drove home like "Jesus Loves Me" and they told me there favorite food was "paschetti" (spaghetti). We had a great time and for a few moments I forgot that I was still in pain.
I want to encourage you that no matter what you are going through don't stop living. You may have to modify some things. Find joy in the small blessings of life.
As I write now the pain is more intense and I am reminded that what I did today has added to that. I am also aware that today I lived and that feels so much better than the pain.

1 Comments:

Blogger Robin said...

Good word, Scott. I'm sorry for your pain but I love your attitude. I hope I'd be the same way in your situation but I'm not sure I would. At any rate, I do hope to be someone who doesn't let the crap of life keep me from living. Thanks!

Oh, and visit my site sometime. robinwhite.ca

3:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home