Monday, October 16, 2006

Coming to his senses Part 7

Have you ever been sound asleep and then the alarm wakes you from a deep sleep? You shake your head and can't believe that it is time to wake up and get moving. I remember being in a hotel room while I was in the gulf coast and had a wakeup call for 4:00 am in order to catch my flight. I had so many things going through my head as I tried to go to sleep. I wanted to fall asleep but it was tough. Then it seemed I had just fallen asleep when the wake up call came from the hotel operator.

Luke 15:17 talks about a wake up call for the son. It says 'When he came to his senses..." I know that there comes a time in our life where we can do the same things day in and day out, we just go through the motions and then we have a wake up call. Sometimes we have the "lightbulb" moment where we can see things from a new perspective. Sometimes someone says something to us which catches us off guard.

Often like the prodigal son, a person realizes their desperate need and asks oneself some serious questions and they realize the gravity of their situation. He makes the statement:" How many of my fathers hired men have food to spare, and here I am starving to death!"
I think there are other ways prodigals make their statement. Maybe it goes something like this: Why did I smoke that first joint?... Why did I take that first drink?... Didn't he say he loved me?... I didn't think my wife would ever find out about my affair!... I can't believe I was so stupid to trust her!... I didn't think she would get pregnant!... or you can fill in the statement.

At times life jolts people out of their fantasy world and into the reality world. They have to come to that place of realizing the desperateness of their situation. They can't keep running. They need to understand they are in need. They need to find a place of rest. They need to be able to get back on their feet. The need love and acceptance. And that is what the son is hoping to find as he sets out on the long journey home. Do you know any people who are in any these situations? Are we part of the solution?

Tomorrow I am going to speculate on what that journey home might have been like.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home