Tuesday, October 10, 2006

The prodigal (cat) son Part 1

Recently our pastor preached a month long series on the prodigal son. It was a great month to really think about this important part of scripture. To me it represents the heart of the message of the gospel, and the heart of Christ. It is the message I want to share with others.

I have decided to try something new with my blog, in addition to my regular postings. I hope that it will be something that you and I can invite other people to read and help them on their journey.

Eleven days ago our cat, Chip, left home for what seems to be his fall time, "get away from home." I think it is the fourth time he as done this, twice in the spring and twice in the fall. But this time it seemed different. Usually he goes away for a week and then shows up at the door, hungry and tired. Give him a day or so and he is right back to normal. You know how cats are.

While he was away this time for his extended trip (he had never been gone this long) I wondered if he would ever come back. Now I am not a cat lover, but I will confess each morning I got up and looked on the back deck to see if Chip had come home. Every morning I looked I thought well maybe this will be the time he never comes back.

Well at 5:00 this morning my prayers were answered, not really!!! I woke to hear a cat crying outside. I turned on the light and there he was, Chip had made the journey home. After 11 days away, in walks Chip. Of course you know how it works the first thing Chip does is run and jump into my arms and purr. Uh... no... the first thing Chip does is head for the food dish and the water. I guess cats are alot like people sometimes.

Chip then spent the next 30 minutes running from his food to our room to purr and get some TLC. He was not sure what he should do now. I think he was so worn out from being on the run, that he was confused as to what he should do and how he should act.

We do have other cats and you can guess their reaction. They did exactly what the brother did in the story of the prodigal. They hissed at Chip, they tried to swat him. They were not excited that the prodigal had returned. It was quite the scene at 5:30 in the morning.

In some ways Chip's saga is like the prodigal son. He left and he came back, unsure how he should act and looking for a soft place to land. A place where he would be accepted back with open arms. This is the message of the prodigal son. It is certainly not one of judgement or accusation, it is one of grace.

The message I want to share over the next few posts is one of grace. Maybe no one will read it and it will just be me sharing some thoughts, but I believe it will help me to better understand the heart of my heavenly father. His arms are wide open.

Please invite others to check out my blog, maybe someone will benefit from it.

2 Comments:

Blogger Talitha said...

Wow. I never would have thought you would do a whole post on Chip ;) I'm shocked!

Very good analogy though...I appreciated that. I came up with a good analogy once for Ninja...

Thanks for the challenge, Scott...

1:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,
I am walking through the prodigal experience. I got such a kick out of reading about Chip. (I have a cat too)I haven't finished reading the series but certainly appreciate your effort and obedience. I'm sure it will help many. Thank you for writing about prodigals.

11:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home