Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Heart of the other brother Part 12

I have been thinking about what to say about the older brother and there is certainly many things that can be said about him. Some would say he was bitter, angry, jealous, mean or self centered just to name a few. But has the son always been like this, I do not think so.

I choose to use another word to describe the son. Hurt.

Often when we look at other people and how they act or react we want to look at the action. I think it is much more important to look at what is happening under the surface that causes the reaction. What has caused the person to react in this way.

I think the older son offers some insight, especially if we really listen to what he says. He uses the word Look!(15.29), but I think he was really in his heart saying LISTEN! Here are his points: 1) I have been working hard for you
2) I never disobeyed you (I guess he is now though)
3) I don't feel like you've ever done anything special for me
4) I have not wasted everything
5) I deserve to be rewarded too.

I think the prodigals brother gets a bad rap, but isn't he reacting like most people do. I know of Christians who have expressed the same sentiments to God but maybe we just use different words. When we are hurt we react. In the heat of the moment we say things we wish we hadn't. The wonderful truth is that I can tell God exactly how I feel and He does not judge me for it. He would rather have me share than remain silent.

The reality is that God does listen to us. He hears what we say. He understands our frustration. He is forgiving. He does reward us for our faithfulness. He is patient with us.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home