Thursday, September 04, 2008

Jesus on the radio

I enjoy listening to the radio. Especially when I am driving in my car. My preference is to listen to talk radio and listen to what other people have to say about certain topics. Today one of the topics discussed was ... "how long should a drunk driver who kills someone while driving impaired go to jail for?" There were certainly many opinions expressed, though I never called in to express my opinion.

I certainly do have opinions about things, many things. But what are my opinions based on? Opinions typically are based on personal experience.

My opinion of Jesus is based on a few things but two specifically. One is my experience and two is His Word. The amazing part is His Word and my experience are linked because of Jesus.

But what if I never had met and spent time with this real Jesus. My opinion of Him would only be based on my experience or listening to the experiences of others. I know that the late night talk shows take shots at Jesus and Christianity whenever they can. They along with many others mock Jesus because they do not know Him. They would think differently if they knew Jesus and not just about Him.

If you look with me to Luke 1:5-7 we read about Zechariah and Elizabeth. They were two devout people who followed the commands of God. They were righteous in God's eyes. They were not perfect but God saw them as righteous. God sees us differently than we see ourselves. God looks to our hearts and knows what is in our heart.

He knew the heart of this couple and that Zechariah and Elizabeth were old and that she was unable to have children. I am sure many days went by, many years went by with unanswered prayer. God knew that!!! I am sure God heard the many nights when Elizabeth cried her self to sleep. God heard!!! Their experience could have told them to give up and stop praying, but they also linked their lives with His Word.

We need to remember this. When we have prayer that seems to go unanswered, do not give up!!!!

It would be easier to listen to the popular opinion or the tabloids or the loud voices who say "There is no God", or mock Him, especially when our experience has been difficult.

But there is a God, a real God who does care. He does forgive. He does love.

Which voice are we listening to? God's voice, or popular opinion????

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home