Friday, September 05, 2008

Sold my soul

I am reading a very interesting book,"I Sold My Soul On Ebay", it is written by an atheist gentleman, Hemant Mehta who put himself up for auction on ebay. The winning bidder could then have the opportunity to have Hemant attend church for one hour/$10 bid in the auction. In other words if the top bidder won for $500, Hemant would then have to attend churches of the winners choice for 50 hours.

Hemant spent his hours visiting evangelical churches and then shared how he viewed what was happening in many churches from his experience. It is a fascinating book. It is not an assault on Christianity, it makes us think of how we do church and how we reach out to those who do not share the same belief system as us.

Hemant makes a comment in the book that I have been thinking about. He is sitting in a service listening to a pastor talk about Thomas. The pastor talks about Thomas demanding proof from Jesus that he was alive. Jesus then shows Thomas the proof when He meets Thomas the next week. Now here is what Hemant says: "I had the impression that people looked down on Thomas for doubting Jesus. And yet, here he was asking for the same thing I was looking for:evidence. Thomas saw his evidence standing right in front of him. I kept thinking IF JESUS DID THAT TO ME NOW, I'M SURE I'D CHANGE MY MIND TOO."

People are looking for evidence. I am looking for evidence in things too. I was taught in school that Columbus sailed the Ocean Blue in 1492, or something like that. But how do they know it happened. Were my teachers there? It didn't look like any of my teachers were almost 500 years old. Yet there are documents that show this actually happened.

Go with me to Luke 1:1-4. Luke the good doctor writes an account for us in a letter sent to another man Theophilus. Luke says, "I myself have carefully investigated everything from the beginning, it seemed good also to me to write an orderly account for you." I choose to trust the word of someone who really investigated all the things about Jesus and His ministry. I choose to believe that a doctor, a trusted professional who only wants to share truth would not lie. I believe that the real Jesus is knowable.

So for me it is simple. Just like I choose to trust that Columbus did sail to North America in 1492, I choose to believe that the real Jesus will be revealed to me through the writings of the Word of God and specifically through the words penned in Luke.

I hope that together we can dig deeper into the Word of God and begin to know on a deeper level, "The Real Jesus"

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Just curious in the book, did this atheist come to know Jesus? By the title maybe not. When people go to services that don't know Him, it all must seem for show. Sarah Doohan

12:10 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Just curious in the book, did this atheist come to know Jesus? By the title maybe not. When people go to services that don't know Him, it all must seem for show. Sarah Doohan

12:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home