Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Meeting my first displaced person

Tonight I had the opportunity to share at a church in Jackson,MS and then meet with a director of the Salvation Army for this region. He shared with me a number of ways our teams can be involved. The church is so willing to work with us.
We then headed to the Mississippi Department of Health (MDH)to get passes so we can go to Biloxi in the morning. We are planning to go to the local high school (it is one of a few buildings still standing in that area), where we will have the chance to meet and counsel with a number of very traumatized people. We will be involved in some crisis counselling. I am uncerttain of what I will experience but I hope to post pictures tomorrow night.
We had the opportunity to go and meet with the Red Cross as well at the Jackson coliseum where a number (approximately 300) of displaced people are staying. There are so many needs. I talked with one gentleman from New Orleans and he shared how he missed his city and thought it would be at least ten years before he could return.
There are very real needs there including a need for socks and underwear as the Red Cross and the Salvation Army have run out. My heart goes out to some people who are still waiting to be processed before they can enter the coliseum.
Please pray for wisdom tomorrow as we will be in very challenging situations.

4 Comments:

Blogger Robin said...

Scott - my prayers go with you. If I didn't have this whole "job" thing going on, I may have come with you.

5:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Scott, I'm praying for you. Send us photos. I'm with you in spirit.
Bev

1:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm praying for you, wish I could be there with you. . . seriously! Be used by God!

2:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, so I'm a dork and didn't sign my name. That last comment was from me, Amber Dawn Johnson. Love you Scott!

2:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home