Wednesday, November 16, 2005

I can't tell you directions to my home

Robin was a lady that came in to the office where we were in Bayou La Batre. She talked with the receptionist where we were and shared how she needed a ramp to be built to her FEMA trailer. Her sister had fallen since Katrina and broken her leg pretty severely and was in a wheelchair, she would need to be in one for the next three months. Right away the receptionist looked to me and asked, "Is this something your team can do?" People down in the "Bayou", as we have come to call it, know that we are willing to help those who are in need. We said we would be willing to help.
I asked Robin how to get to her home so we could measure out the ramp and determine the supplies we would need. Robyn looked at me with a blank stare and said, "I don't know." She was under such stress that her mind was literally shutting down. She could not think of or provide an answer to a basic question. I immediately recognized that Robin was likely suffering from PTSD(Post Traumatic Stress Disorder). I said to Robin, "it is ok, dont worry about it. We can figure it out." I then shared that I do counseling and that I thought we could not only build her the ramp but that I could help her with the stress in her life. Let me tell you what has caused the stress in her life.
She has severe damage in her home, severe. Her mother lost her home. She lost her job. Her sister fell and broke her leg and she is now in a hospital waiting for a ramp to be built so she can return "home". The temperature out side will be below 32 degrees ferenheit, freezing over the next few overnights. In other words she lost her home, the memories of her childhood home, her job, and on top of that insurance does not cover any of her expenses. She has no money!!! Who wouldn't have some level of stress?
I had the privilege of sharing with Robin today. We talked about how to move forward and try to begin to make sense out of chaos. We talked about hope. We talked about Gods provision. I shared that we would build her a ramp and find some way to pay for it. I told her we would stand with her and beside her. Just a few hours later we had ordered the lumber necessary and had a church volunteer to cover the cost for her. We then visited her damaged home and began the work there of "gutting her home". At the end of the day Robin had a smile on her face and thanked us so much for our help. She said she had hope now. She felt like she was going to be ok. I asked her if I could introduce her to a pastor friend of mine who pastors a church in the Bayou, and she said she would like that.
Tomorrow we will build that ramp, and we will share our lives, what God has done in our lives, with her.
It is because of people like Robin that I have come to the Gulf Coast. Sadly there are so many like Robin, disillusioned, hopeless, crying out for help.
Please pray for Robin and this area of the world. Please if at all possible come to the gulf and help out. The harvest is ripe and the laborers are so very few!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home