Saturday, November 12, 2005

Using your talents and gifts

Yesterday I was talking with our landlord, Mark, he had come over to fix the water pump in our home. He is a great guy and is a jack of all trades. You know the type of person that can fix anything. He asked about my trip to the gulf and I shared some of my pictures. He was amazed by the devastation there.
He said how much he appreciated that I could be so commited to a cause. At the same time as he was talking about this, he was helping me repair a tire on the ministry car. Then he walked over to our personal car and said , "it looks like your tire is low there as well. Lets take it off and fix it. Maybe I can help you with that."
I shared with him that he was a lot like me. He was using his talents and gifts to help someone else who has a need. I can't do mechanical stuff, but I can organize and coordinate mission trips. I can counsel with people. I can love people with the love of Christ. Mark can't do those things but he can help a neighbour in need.
I am convinced that every person has been given talents and gifts. It is in the Bible. What we do with those gifts is what matters. Some people bury those gifts in the ground, remember that parable. Some are afraid to use them. Some are willing to use them, when it is convenient. Some like Mark look for opportunities to bless others.
The interesting thing is, Mark is not a Christian. He doesn't have to read it in the Bible to know it is the right thing to do. The biggest blessing in helping others, is what it does for you. It just makes you feel good to help others. At least it does for me.
Find someone to be a blessing to. Just look around, the opportunities are all around us. Let me know of some way you bless someone else in the next few days. It will make you feel good and it is a pleasing aroma to God.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Christmas is just around the corner. No time to go to the mall...then do your shopping online. We sell everything that the mall sells. Shop today!

10:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home