Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Profiling...I hate it!!!

Yesterday my family and a friend of my daughters drove with me to the Bangor, Maine so I could catch my flight this morning. As we crossed the border we were asked to pull over which was no problem. Then a vehicle came by and out jumped the drug dog to sniff out our vehicle. This never happened to me before but I was not surprised. You see we were "pulled over" because our daughters and their friend have body piercings and their friend has dreadlocks. In reality none of these three kids have ever used drugs or has any desire to do so.
Isn't it amazing how we do the same thing. We don't call it profiling we call it something else. We stay away from people because they look a certain way. We make sure we are not seen with a person who looks different than us because then we might be associated with them. It really struck me, that as Christians we do that to non Christians. We profile them.
My daughter explained to me how mad it makes her to have people think she is a certain way just because she chooses to look a little different. As I thought about it, it made me mad as well. Then it just made me sad to think of how many of us judge people before we ever walk a few feet in their shoes, let alone a mile.
Here's my challenge to you who read this. Go and talk with somebody you would normally walk by or pass judgement on. Sit down, talk with them and you may find that you have met someone really special. I did today, as I understood my daughters are really very special.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jeffrey & Bethany said...

so true ...
Thanks Scott ... for everything over the years; especially your prayers.

11:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home