Monday, January 16, 2006

Martin Luther King Jr.

I recently read the autobiography of Martin Luther King. He was a man of tremendous courage and commitment to say the least. He is a true inspiration. The book included many of his speeches. He was a brilliant man and a tremendous leader. There were a few quotes that stood out to me and I want to share some of those over the next few days. I have thought alot about some of the the things he said and I invite you to do the same.
At a certain time in MLK's life he was asked if he would change his view on a particular issue and be swayed to popular opinion. His answer was this. "The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of convenience, but where he stands in moments of challenge, moments of great crisis and controversy. There may be others who want to go another way, but when I took up the cross I recognized its meaning. It is not something that you merely put your hands on or something that you wear. The cross is something you bear and something you die on. The cross may mean the death of your popularity." (Taken from the Autobiography of Martin Luther King Jr. p.342,343)
As Christians we have to stand for what is right, what is true, even when it is not popular. I see it all around. If anyone stands for what is right, and that is against the mainstream view, they are labeled as a lunatic or troublemaker.
At what point do we say "I would rather be standing for what is right than standing for what is popular."?
Thoughts.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jeffrey & Bethany said...

Which autobio. was it?

11:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home