Monday, January 02, 2006

Complainers..they wear me out!!!

It was one of those weeks where we were overwhelmingly busy. The days were long from 6:30 in the morning to 11:30 each night. It had some interesting challenges.
There were two situations that stand out to me. First was a negative. Negative people complain about everything, and I mean everything. It is amazing to me to see how certain people will complain about the simplest of things. I do not know how people get so worked up about simple things, especially when they look around at all of the tragedy and turmoil.
In Biloxi the basic things of life are difficult to come by. For instance there are only two grocery stores open in East Biloxi. Most people do not have running water and/or electricity. Yet people survive. They hardly complain. They have their homes ripped apart, that is if they have a home at all.
Some of the people we brought into that area were disgusted that they might have to use a port-a-potty in order to go to the bathroom. It was not good enough for them. It is interesting that those complaining were adults. The teens were just fine with it. They never complained. It certainly was not all the adults just two or three. Sadly they caused their leader much frustration.
As I sit in the airport waiting for my flight home, I am listening to those around me and all I am hearing is complaining. "My flight is delayed", "the people working here are so stupid", "I should not have this inconvenience." The man sitting beside me is swearing, acting like a racial bigot. I can see he is without any joy in his life.

Now for the positive. On the way home from Biloxi on New Years Eve our tire blew out on the highway. It didn't go flat, it blew. We had a choice, complain or be thankful. We chose to thank God for this opportunity to trust Him.
I ended up calling a gentleman from Pascagoula who we had helped by putting a roof on his home. I asked him to come and assist us as we were stranded on the side of the road. He was very happy to help us. While we waited for him another vehicle stopped and offered to help us. In fact the driver "just happended" to have the same tire as we had just blown on the back of his truck. He sold us the tire for $5.00.
When David arrived from Pascagoula we drove to a nearby exit and had the new tire installed on the rim. It cost $10.00, but David paid for it for us as a way to thank us for our helping him. My theory is this. Instead of complaining about things, thank God for his blessings. Thank Him for his answers to prayer.
Which one are you? The one who complains or the one who thanks God for the circumstances we find ourselves in?

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Scott, Bill and I just read your piece about complainers.....right on brother!! We'd shake your
hand..no, we'd give you a big bear hug (being careful of your shoulder). We hope there was some way to "correct" the attitude of those complaining. As leaders of mission trips, we've encountered this also. We often wonder what people are expecting when they sign on for service to others. It grieves me that they are missing so much of why they are there. The "inconveniences" are part of the adventure, memory, sacrifice and challenge of a mission trip. Bottom line.....It's not about me!!. Blessings, Bill and Suzette

7:35 PM  
Blogger Scottie said...

yeah, i agree... hearing that takes me back to our florida trip scott and how i felt originally about the 5 minute shower rule... how trivial... preparing for our adventure with you guys in march this is a good think to think of and pray agianst... as a leader this will drive me nuts, but i also have to prepare to not complain about the complainers, but love them and thank God for the fact that they are there with me and trust that God will break through in thier lives so they may see him in the rotten places as well... so much to chew on... once again, thanks scott... see you soon... love ya man...

8:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

now scott that isnt nice... what did we learn about saying nothing at all if it isnt nice? hahahhehehe have a good one!!!

2:39 PM  
Blogger Jeffrey & Bethany said...

Great post. Challenging. It's always easy to "find" an excuse and too easy to take "life" for granted. Again, challenging ... thank you.

4:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home