Thursday, September 14, 2006

Tragedy in Montreal

I was riveted to the news yesterday as I saw the tragic scene unfolding at Dawson College in downtown Montreal. I think what really impacted me were two things.
First, Montreal has a special place in my heart. We have done ministry many times in the downtown region of the city and have done ministry in the area around Dawson College. In fact our ministry vehicle broke down on the corner of Atwater and Sherbrooke last summer, which is where Dawson is located. I could easily picture in my mind where things were located.
Second, I was reminded again the need to bring hope to this city and the people. There are so many people who do not know anything of God and the hope He offers. I began to think of the results of our survey and how many people have such negative emotions and how they are so far from God.
I do not know the shooter personally but his online blog says alot about him. Here are some of the things he shared that have been printed in an article on canoe.ca. Apparently the mans name was Kimveer and he was obsessed with death. He wrote on his blog " that he finds the vast majority of people to be "worthless, no good, kniving, betraying lieing (sic), deceptive."
Another statement read "Anger and hatred simmers within me," and finally he shared his hatred for authority, including police, "all the government on Earth," "bible-thumping know-it-alls" and God.
I checked out the blog site where he posted this stuff and it is filled with hatred. Some of the people who are posting on it have such a distain for people and God. They also hate themselves. It is very disturbing and yet provides a forum for people to express themselves. These folks need to be prayed for. For some this troubled young man will/may become a hero. Sadly others may see his way of escape from this world as their way out.
Lets pray for those affected by this tragedy. Pray that through this tragedy God could be glorified and that those who do ministry in this underevangelized city (less than 1% of the population are evangelical Chistians) would be emboldened to share Him. Christ is the answer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home