Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Favor of God

I have been praying about a native family and finding a way to reach them. I have asked God for wisdom beyond my own and an opportunity to really connect with the mom and brother. On Monday the Lord opened that door wide.

As I drove to the reserve I asked God once again for His favor. When I arrived at the home to meet with the daughter I was welcomed with less than open arms. I was invited in but told they only had ten minutes to talk. When I speak of they, I mean the daughter and her brother.

As I sat at the kitchen table talking about helping this young lady get back in school, her brother said that she needed to listen to what I was saying. He told her that she needed to get back in school and that I had a plan that could work for her.

In just a few more minutes other teens from the reserve came into the house and listened to what I was talking about and they began to share their frustrations in life and how they want to be accepted like everyone else.

As this discussion was taking place, into the house walked the mother. I have called to talk with the mom on many occasions but she has been unwilling to talk with me. She has had people lie and tell me that she was not home when indeed she was. The mom began to listen to the conversation taking place and sat down to participate. It was amazing.

I knew I had been accepted a few minutes later whaen the son walked over and asked if I wanted to have a coffee with them. That was huge. It was a sign that I was welcome in their home.

For the next hour and a half we talked and laughed and shared stories together. I was able to share how I believed their was hope for their family and the community in general. I talked with the mom about beginning to do some counseling and she shared she would like to start.

The final blessing was having the young lady I went to talk to, agree to come out to a youth event we are doing this Saturday and she has invited three other friends who want to come along.

There was such an openness created during our conversation and I can only attribute this to the favor of God. I want to encourage you in this; if you are trying to reach out to people who seem unwilling to listen continue to trust God and pray that He give you His favor.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Scott:

This sounds really encouraging. Must have been made your heart Praise Him. I've had an interesting week with God opening doors and making things work according to His plan. I am on MSN with Zach right now.

JohnO

6:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's truly amazing to sit back and watch the Holy Spirit working. We know that we don't have all of the answers or know the right things to say all the time but if we hand it over to the Lord and seek his direction....anything is possible.

I had almost given up trying to reach out to a couple of the St Marys kids as it seems like I was hitting a brick wall every time I made an attempt to get my foot into the door...until now. I'll continue to seek the Lords favor and see what he has in store for me.

Your hard work with the native kids is inspiring. Keep the faith!!

Steve

7:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home