Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Nehemiah...handling the opposition Part 8

I remember back a few years, to the time I was called into full time ministry. I was not expecting this to happen in my life so I was as surprised that this was the plan the Lord had for me. After I got through the initial shock, I began to take some action steps to become better prepared to step into ministry.

For me one of those steps was going to Bible College. I was so excited to go and train. I had thought it through and prayed it through. But in stepped the opposition. I had people, good people, tell me how I was making the biggest mistake of my life. I had others question whether or not God really calls people to do something. It was surprisingly a very challenging time.

Now that is not the same type of opposition that Nehemiah experienced. Here were Tobiah, Sanballat and Geshem(2:19). They were not to thrilled to see the rebuilding take place. They wanted it to stop. As we will see further in the chapter they are going to stir up other people to oppose what Nehemiah was doing. What was there motive? I would suggest one was jealousy. If the walls were rebuilt it might cost them something personally. It might have been many other selfish reasons. I think that they were just self seeking people with an agenda.

What was Nehemiahs response? Let's build!!! Simple. We need to do what God is clearly leading us to do. We need to stay focused on the mission and not be delayed or side tracked. Let's get to work. He also reminded them that God would be the one that prospered what they did.

Nehemiah really pays no attention to the foolishness. He understands his calling and understands that God will supply the defense and God will deal with the opposition. He is not going to be side tracked by the naysayers.

I think it is possible to spend valuable time, wasted time trying to get people on board that are just not going to do so. Our focus can be taken off the task the Lord has given us by people who just want to spin their own agenda. Let us focus on what God has placed in our hearts. Let us get to work doing what God has planned. The battle belongs to the Lord!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home