Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Native outreach

This past month we have been working hard to put into place a youth group on one of our local Indian reserves. I have seen the hand of God move and I want bo share some of those developments with you.

In order to launch this outreach we needed to have adults on board with us. They need to have a heart for teens and for God. At our first meeting there were three of us. This past Thursday we had four people including two parents who are going to be a part of the leadership team. We also have a Christian police officer who is assigned to the reserve who is part of our team. It was wonderful to share with one another our hearts for the native community and to see the quality of people God is raising up to join in this important work.

Our first actual youth outreach is scheduled for Saturday afternoon. We are all excited about the potential and more importantly what God has placed in our hearts and how He is moving in our midst. We are expecting great things and the Lord has given us a vision of what it can be.

Yesterday was a great day of ministry for me. One of the teens, Shelby, from another reserve in town had run away from a group home. No one really knew where she was. I was able to track her down and spend some time talking with her and her mom. Last night we were able to get her back in the group home. I have been approved to be directly involved in Shelby's life by her mom and by the social worker attending to this case.

During our time of getting this teen back in the group home, her mom was asked a question by one of the directors of the group home. She asked the mom, what is Scott's relation to your family? Her response was "Christian mentor." I can't tell you how thrilled I was to have this family acknowledge me in this way.

Please continue to pray for our outreach on Saturday and for Shelby and her family.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why I have not read your blog is beyond me, except time, which is always the answer these days, but today my hands went directly to it. Why? God I have no doubt! I just read all your entries on Nehemiah, and now I know. God's timing is amazing..why are we always surprised? Many personal situations have been piled onto my shoulders for months now, and now your words, God's word, have shed a great light. Thank you Scott. God Bless! Sheilah

10:23 AM  
Blogger Talitha said...

Praying for Saturday.....super exciting. God is so good!

7:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good stuff, Scott!

6:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home