Thursday, November 02, 2006

Nehemiah: broken for the things of God Part 2

One of the first people I met in the gulf coast was a young lady at the Biloxi High school gymnasium, which was being used to house displaced people who had lost everything. As pastors/missionaries/counsellors we were invited to come and counsel and pray with the people.

As I listened to her story I was touched right to the core of my being. Here was a young lady, who had lost everything and had still not been able to call her family to let them know she had survived the storm, this was eight days after the storm. I took her parents phone number down and as soon as I could get to a place where my cell phone would work I called her parents to let them know she was alive and where they could meet her to take her home. They were so relieved to hear the good news.

I think Nehemiah experienced these same type of emotions. He was touched deep within when he heard the state of the city and the people. I believe his heart broke for the things that broke God's heart. He understood the people were living in disgrace and the city and its gates were broken and burned to the ground.

We see in 1.4 that Nehemiah sat and wept for days. He also fasted and prayed. I believe that as Nehemiah waited before the Lord that he was gripped with compassion and knew that any response he would be able to do, must be led by God. I think he knew the battle had to be fought on his knees because that is where battles are won and lost.

Whatever battle or challenge we face we need to bring before God. We need to discover the heart of God in any situation and then take action. I think it is easy to move into action to solve a problem and ask God to bless us as we react. Instead I think we need to seek God and then move as His spirit leads. I am reminded of the verse that says, "Seek ye first the kingdom of God."

What challenges do we face? How are we fighting the battle? Is it our wisdom or is it God's? Are we broken for the things that break God's heart?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home