Saturday, June 02, 2007

Making cookies, check the ingredients


Today I had a youth event planned where I invited teens to my house to bake cookies for a church function. I thought I would have four teens show up but I was wrong. It turned out that 11 teens showed up, nine guys and two gals.

One of the guys mixed all the ingredients together and then asked me if there was another bag of flour, so he could add more flour to the mix. I said to him well you havent even used the bag of flour I bought. He said yes I did. Then he discovered he had added 2 cups of baking powder instead of two cups of flour. Needless to say we could not use the mixture he had put together and we had to throw it out and start over.

I think that there is an illustration here. Sometimes we add things into our lives that we think are good and then we determine that we added the wrong things. This can be friendships, choices we make, music, or whatever else fits. There are times the best thing we can do is start over and start fresh. A fresh start can be very empowering.

Well the cookies finally were "put togther right" and the finished product turned out to be quite good. We all shared some of the cookies and had lots of fun. The kids were great but it was hard to keep so many occupied. When you go from four to eleven that is quite a challenge but one I hope to face often.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home