Monday, April 03, 2006

Rooting for the underdog

As most of you know I am a big sports fan. This weekend I was flat on my back due to the pain, I decided to do something new. I watched the PGA golf tournament on the internet. Yeah it is true!!!
What made it most interesting was looking at some of the players on the tour and their struggle to survive. You can read their bios on line and how much money they have made over the last five years as professionals.
There is one man named B.J. Staten and he turned pro in 2000. Here is what he has earned for the last six years: 2000--$0, 2001--$0, 2002--$1700, 2003--$2708, 2004--$1508, 2005--$4530. So over the last six years he has earned a total of $10406. But he persevered and had the opportunity to play this past weekend.
This year of 2006 he did not earn any money in his first three tournaments. I am sure he had to be discouraged and felt like giving up on his dream. Maybe others told him he needed to do something else. Maybe others encouraged him to follow his dreams and reminded him of how far he has come.
This weekend he finished in a tie for 34th place. That means 33 players were better than him. But, since he finished in the top 70 he earned a paycheck. In fact he won $25639, which is more than he ever won in the past six yeas combined. Hooray for the underdog.
I tend to cheer for the people in life who are the undedogs. I think that God does this too. I think he sees things in you and I that we cannot see ourselves. I think he is concerned about you and I and the challenges we face.
I am so thankful for friends like Bill and Suzette who stood in their church and were annointed on our families behalf. I am thankful for those who encourage us to press on even in the midst of very discouraging times.
On the other hand there are those who are naysayers, who want to discourage and say give up. I find those people to be draining. I am thankful that these folks are in the minority.
On a final note, please pray for Matt who is leading things for us in the gulf right now. He is the ultimate underdog who is doing as great job. He was a lot like me. The least likely candidate to be a missionary. God has radically changed him. With God's power anything can change.

2 Comments:

Blogger Robin said...

Scott, I just want you to know that I'm praying for you, your family and your ministry. Be encouraged. And get some sleep too!

11:05 AM  
Blogger Scottie said...

i love the underdog mentality... i think that it is scriptural too that God says he will use to the underdog (foolish) to confound the wise... praise God for his way of using those whom we often give up on... even if that means ourselves...

9:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home