Monday, November 06, 2006

Nehemiah: man of prayer Part 3

I had an interesting weekend. In fact it was pretty frustrating. I was not happy with the way I reacted to a situation I was faced with. I reacted first and I was wrong.

Before I could bring anything else before God this morning I had to repent of my attitiude. I had to confess my sinful attitude and allow God to move on my heart. Then I was ready to pray for the needs that are before me and others.

We see in Nehemiah that before he asked anything of God he repented of his sins and the sins of his father's house and the nation of Israel. Often we want God's blessing but we are not repentant.

Once he had a clean heart he reminded God of His promises. He knew God's promise was to bless His people, and bring them back home if they were faithful. He was standing in the gap for the exiled people.

I believe we need to have our hearts in the right place if we expect to see God move in power. In Psalm 51:17 reads "a broken and contrite spirit, O God you will not despise". There are many times when we see God move in our lives even when we are unfaithful, that is because He is faithful to keep His Word. BUT, I think we want to see God move in power, and that requires a broken and contrite spirit.

I was talking with a good friend on Friday who was sharing a powerful story of God's moving. He has been walking with God for some time but was still struggling with giving up smoking. He has been praying for a miracle. He has been surrendering more and more of himself to God over the last few months. On Wednesday the Lord delivered him from cigarettes instantly. He took away the craving, he was set free.

I am reminded of the following verse in Matt 17:28-30. "Come to me all you who are weary and burdened and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home