Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Nehemiah...shares his needs Part 5

Ruth and I went out to supper last evening with a couple who are involved in native ministry. They have a summer camp for kids that has been reaching out for a number of years to native children. We had a great time together as we talked about how to be effective in ministry. We talked about things like patience and commitment and being steadfast in how we work with the native community.

I was able to share with them some of the things I felt the Lord was laying on my heart to be involved in, teen ministry and sports ministry topped the list. I shared about some of the teens that I have a burden for.

In turn they shared what the Lord was laying on their hearts. They talked about things like discipleship and follow up with kids from camp. They talked about their challenges and victories. They also shared what their needs were as they head into 2007.

One of the things we discovered is that we could really be able to support one another. We have gifts that could help them meet some of their needs, and they have gifts and insight that could be of benefit to us. I am so glad we took the time to share.

Nehemiah had to share with the king what God had laid on his heart. We can see that Nehemiah was fearful to talk with the king 2.2 We see the king ask Nehemiah a question, "What is it you want?" 2.4 We see Nehemiah pray to God one more time before he answered in 2.5

Nehemiah then proceeds to share his needs with the king. Here is what he shares : I need to go to Judah; I need to rebuild the wall; I need a letter for the governor so I can travel with safety; and I need another letter for Asaph so he can supply me with the necessary lumber.

The kings response is yes!!! Yes, I will supply what you need. Why? The answer is found in 2.8. The gracious hand of the Lord was upon me. It was not because Nehemiah was an eloquent speaker. It was not because Nehemiah used convincing arguments. It was not because Nehemiah was a man of tremendous charisma. It was because God's hand was upon him.

Nehemiah had prayed for God's favor with the king and with man. That is what he received. In fact we see in 2.9 that the king even went beyond what he asked by sending along army officers and the cavalry. Amazing!!! God is good!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home