Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Nehemiah...understands who God is Part 4

Willim Carey is considered to be the father of modern missions. He is often quoted for saying, "Expect great things from God, attempt great things for God." Maybe Carey gained this insight from the study of God's Word and from looking at people like Nehemiah.

Nehemiah has been broken for the things of God and the conditon of the people and the city. He has been moved to tears and prayer and fasting. He has repented of the sins of the people. He knows what he needs to do next. Attempt something great. Rebuild the wall and the people.

Nehemiah has a clear understanding of the need for God to move if he is going to have any success. He is reminded of the power of God (Neh 1:10) He is aware that God is going to have to move others on his behalf. He is especially in need of God preparing the heart of the king before he approaches him.

Have you ever prayed a prayer like Nehemiah? I know I have. I have asked the Lord many times "please grant me favor with this person. Lord go before me." I have seen the favor of God level a mountain before I begin to cross over it. I have seen God make a way where there seemed to be no way. I have sensed God moving, preparing the way.

I recall during my time at Bible College I was sensing God stirring my heart. I sensed that the college needed to have an athletic program. I prayed and asked God to make a way and show me what to do. About three weeks later I got a call from the president of the college. He wanted to see me in his office. I was not sure why he wanted to see me, I thought my school bill was paid up.

As I sat down in his office he shared with me that he and others felt that there was a need for a commitment to athletics at the school. He shared that other faculty he had talked with suggested he talk with me about becoming the athletic director. He asked for my thoughts and he asked me to pray about it. I told him I alrerady had for the last three weeks and I accepted on the spot.

The message in this simple I believe. No matter what we attempt to do in life we need to seek God's heart, and once we know it to trust Him to go before us. Nehemiah prayed like this. Many others have prayed like this. We need to understand that if God is in something, no man can stop it. We need God's favor but first we need to know God's will.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home