Monday, April 02, 2007

You never know what God has planned...

I received a call early Saturday morning from a friend of mine. I met Hal about four years ago during a ministry outreach here in Fredericton. Hal was planning to commit suidice when I first met him and through God's intervention our paths crossed on that day many years ago.

I had seen Hal on a number of occasions these last few weeks. I always tried to stop and talk with him. He has been battling alcoholism for the last 35 years or so. Right now he is losing the battle. In fact he is so sick with alcoholism that if he does not have a drink, he will go into seizures.

On Saturday when he called he asked if I could come right away to talk with him. He had a particularly rough day on Friday and once again had contemplated suicide. I immediatley headed to his home to talk. As he began to talk of his experience on Friday he shared how he even ended getting into a scuffle with another person in order to protect a young lady who was being pushed around by her "boyfriend". Then he said, "I know you are here to talk with me, but I think this young lady needs to have someone to talk with. Could you talk with her?"

I agreed and just a few minutes later this 15 year old girl walks into the room and begins to share her story with me. I am not allowed to go into all the details but I will share this, this young lady needs someone to stand beside her and help her through this difficult situation. We ended up talking for close to 2 hours and then I met with her again later for another 2 hours. I spoke very clearly to her about her options and how I was prepared to help. She needs to be delivered from alcholism and this abusive situation.

After she left Hal and I began to talk again. He began to weep as he shared how sick he was and how hopeless his situation was. Hal shared that he prays for help from God every morning and evening and he is unsure what else to do. Hal needs a miracle. He has tried to quit so many times. He is a man that believes in God and the power of Jesus.

It continues to amaze me how the Lord continues to lead me to invest in and cross the paths of hurting and desperate people. I love to do the work of the Lord and to invest my life in ministering to those facing enormous challenges.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home